YOUR PARTNER KNOWS YOU INTIMATELY. WE KNOW BIRTH INTIMATELY. TOGETHER WE ARE THE PERFECT TEAM TO SUPPORT YOU.
At Doulas of Marquette, we absolutely love working alongside dads and partners during a birth. We know that each person has different desires for the role they will play during labor, birth, and the postpartum period. Some want to be the coach, some want to be a teammate, and others a witness. More than not, many aren’t sure what they will want to do, or what to expect.
This is where our support comes into play, we help them to realistically prepare for what to expect during your labor, birth, and postpartum time, which ultimately empowers them to feel completely confident and equipped to support you.
What it all comes down to is that they want you to feel cared for, to feel that they actually know how to support you (they don’t want to feel helpless), for baby and you to be delivered safely, and for it to be a positive experience all around.
Our Doulas have each been through birth and understand it not only professionally, but personally. We know how important your partner’s presence is, and how their confidence in a you, their words, and their touch, can make such a difference.
BUT WILL HAVING A DOULA EXCLUDE MY PARTNER FROM OUR BIRTH EXPERIENCE?
We bring the knowledge of birth, so your partner doesn’t have to feel the pressure to remember all the details from your childbirth class, or if you chose to skip it we can help give the play-by-play so you both feel reassured and supported.
Many dads have never been to a birth before (or maybe only your previous births), and they love the fact that we bring years of experience, additional education, advanced comfort measures, and knowledge from all the births we have attended before.
Many partners have communicated that they felt such a sense of ease after they met us for a meet and greet. They could tell we weren’t there to take their place. After birth many have commented that they could no longer recall options and information etc. because it was so challenging and overwhelming to see the person they love in labor and birth.
We help them put all the pieces together, because we know that birth is challenging for them too (in a different way) and ultimately, they want to show up with their best for you and your baby.
A doulas support has never been about dads or partners not being enough, or trying to invade the intimacy between you both in your birth.
Our support is about helping your partner provide exactly what you need from him, working together, helping you both feel safe, and giving him space to communicate how he feels too. All of these things ultimately create a more intimate and connected birth.
GETTING REAL ABOUT CONCERNS:
Some partners who have been hesitant to hire a doula, whether for fear of us taking their place, the financial investment, or not fully understanding what a doula does, have been pleasantly surprised at our family centered approach that includes meeting you where you are at.
Sometimes, there is still hesitancy with one area, and so we are just going to be real and say it.
So let’s talk about it.
What does your investment include? (Hint: it’s way more than just the day of your birth):
- Your investment covers literal days, weeks, and months of us being on call 24/7. We are always available via. phone, email, and text.
- An in-depth pre-birth meeting (or more if you so choose) that we don’t cap as far as time goes. If you have questions, concerns, fears, or just need company, we aren’t going anywhere.
- Your investment covers our continuous support at your birth. You get to choose the birth package you want to move forward with, and we are committed to being with you as long as you desire.
- Support after your birth (breastfeeding, transitioning from labor to early postpartum).
- 24/7 support in the early weeks after baby arrives, including a postpartum meeting completely customized around what you are needing.
What are some creative ways to prioritize doula services?
- Contact us early! While we are happy to do an alternate payment plan if you decide you’d like a doula late in pregnancy, month-to-month payments seem to work best for families.
- Start saving BEFORE you get pregnant. Start a doula jar or start a monthly payment plan with us now.
- Plan ahead with your HSA/FSA accounts (whether you are pregnant or planning a baby). Yes, our services are FULLY covered by both!
- Gift registry/gift cards- We can set up a doula fund page for your baby shower, family, friends, etc. to contribute towards your desire to have our support. This is a SUPER popular option.
- Set up an alternate payment plan with us right from the start.
- Budget for our services.
- Tax refund! For those who get one.
If you desire to prioritize our services, we can creatively come up with a way to make it work. Keeping in mind, that our ability to be on call 24/7 doesn’t allow us to have other professions. This is our profession. So you can know that your investment will be worth it, and we will be there any and every time you need us.
FROM A DOULAS OF MARQUETTE PARTNER:
“In the light of two prior tough pregnancies, we were looking for the professional support of a doula to give us more peace of mind. Our Doula gave us such a sense of strength. She helped us put together an effective birth plan, and helped equip me with tools to help my wife through labor. If I needed a break, she was there; she was always there. She had great ideas for helping labor progress. We made an excellent team!”